Monday, March 25, 2013

Healthier Caesar Salad







I am a total sucker for Caesar salad, its creamy, tangy, salty and perfectly satisfying.  I was inspired to make a healthier version because I eat it so often.  My version uses my homemade seasoned bread crumbs (http://letthemeathealthy.blogspot.com/2013/03/homemade-seasoned-bread-crumbs.html). These fabulous bread crumbs replace the huge, fat and carb laden croutons but don't worry you will never miss them because the bread crumbs are perfectly crunchy and coat every bite.  I also bumped up the flavor in the dressing using lots of healthy garlic, shallots and anchovies, so you need very little, also cutting calories and fat without sacrificing taste. The recipe also uses mayonnaise, which is something I am normally against in a real Caesar but by accident I stumbled on the power of Vegenaise!!  Yes vegan mayonnaise that has no cholesterol and is made by a very socially responsible company that does lots of things for the planet!! Here is a link to learn more about the company, http://followyourheart.com/about-us. Please feel free to use an organic egg yolk or regular mayonnaise in place of the scary Vegenaise lol, but I promise you it makes the perfect dressing; I have seriously never had a better Caesar and your salad supports the planet, I mean win/win!!

Print the recipe

Ingredients

Salad

2 Organic romaine hearts, chopped, lettuce is part of the dirty dozen and should always be organic.

1/3 Cup seasoned homemade bread crumbs, get my recipe here.

1/4 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated.

Dressing

3 Cloves organic garlic, grated or minced.

1 Small, organic shallot, finely minced.

1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar

1 Tbsp Vegenaise

1/4 Cup good quality extra virgin olive oil, use the best here because its being used raw.

Sea salt & pepper, to taste.

Juice from 1 lemon

2 Anchovy fillets, a lot of recipes say optional on this item and I totally disagree I think its essential for real Caesar flavor, but if you are totally against this then put in a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce as a substitute.

1/4 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated.

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on low till smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.

Put 1/2 the dressing in the bottom of a large bowl.  Add in lettuce and toss with the dressing.  Add bread crumbs and cheese and toss.  Serve with a wedge of lemon or see my serving suggestions below.

Serving suggestions

Top with any of the following for a complete meal:

  • Organic poached egg
  • Blackened chicken,steak, fish or shrimp
  • Grilled portabella mushroom
  • Crab or fish cake
Or simply serve alongside your favorite dish, soup or sandwich, and enjoy!


What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.
-Augustus Saint-Gaudens

 

No comments:

Post a Comment