Friday, April 5, 2013

Peach Pie Breakfast Oats


My husband loves to eat oatmeal for breakfast, but it can get boring very quickly. I like to recreate the little packets of oatmeal I used to eat as a child and make them healthier and tastier. This peach pie oatmeal recipe is a nod to Quaker, peaches & creme. I used to love those little packets when I was little, but now that I am older I know better. Those little packets are loaded with sugar and some of them have all kinds of preservatives or other things that I just don't want to serve to my family. I also really love the nutty flavor and chewy texture of real whole grain oats. My favorite kind to use is Bob's Red Mill organic rolled oats. We buy a large bag and I make up large batches of different kinds of oatmeal and we just warm them all week and drizzle with fresh cream, or milk. Nothing beats a hot, hearty bowl of oatmeal.

This recipe blends the familiar flavors of peach pie; ginger, cinnamon, brown sugar and of course large chunks of soft, ripe peaches. When peaches are in season I use fresh ones, but they are not in season right now in NY so I used frozen ones that we picked locally during the summer and froze to have all winter long. I always top my creamy, hot cereal with something crunchy, I usually use crushed raw almonds or pecans. For this peach pie recipe I chose whole grain graham crackers because they tasted so much like eating an actual pie crust. It was incredible! All of these flavors together made the perfect bowl of "peach pie" that is completely guilt free and will keep you fueled all morning!


Note: I make large batches of this to eat all week long, this makes 6 servings.

Ingredients

4 Cups, organic or pasture raised whole milk

2 Cups organic, old fashioned oats, I use Bob's Red Mill.

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced.

1/2 tsp sea salt, optional.

5 Tbsp fair trade, organic brown sugar

5 large organic peaches, peeled and sliced, I don't like the peel in here because it separates during cooking and isn't appetizing. You can also use a bag of frozen sliced peaches, that is what I did.

3 large, honey graham crackers, 6 squares total, crushed.


Directions

In a sauce pan over medium high heat combine milk, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, salt and brown sugar. Cook till this mixture starts to simmer (watch carefully because it will boil quickly and burn). Once simmering add oats and turn down to medium.

Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and then add in peaches. Cook another 10 minutes, continuing to stir.

Remove pan from heat. Ladle hot oats into two serving bowls. Top with graham cracker crumbs, more fresh peaches if you have them and drizzle with milk or cream.  Serve immediately and enjoy a taste of your childhood, only better!




2 comments:

  1. I love this:) My hubby eats oatmeal everyday (plain whole oatmeal:) I am surprising him with this for Father's Day Breakfast:))
    Pinning!

    Hugs

    PS Would love for you to share at Freedom Fridays (goes live on Thursdays at 7pm)
    http://www.myturnforus.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, he is going to love this!! I love making special meals as gifts, my husband is getting eggs Benedict with spinach and tomatoes! Enjoy!! I would love to share on Freedom Fridays, thank you for the invite! :)

      Delete