Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Spicy Miso Broth with Shitake Mushrooms & Wild Greens


I have been drinking miso broth for a while now and I absolutely love it.  It's salty, and, because it's fermented, has quite a tang to it. I buy a locally made one called South River Miso. They make it the old fashion, Japanese way and I am a big fan, click the link to check out their beautiful website! They make quite a variety of miso, ranging in flavor from sweet white (mild) to 3 year dark brown. This particular recipe uses the sweet white miso which is their most popular flavor and even my two year old loves it. Fermented foods are incredibly healthy for you, they aid in digestion, weight loss and populating your gut with good bacteria...YUM! They can be used in a variety of ways from straight simple broths to flavoring your marinades and sauces. This time of year (spring in NY) the mushrooms and wild greens are plentiful so I am always finding ways to use them. This broth is choc full of them along with other typical Asian flavors such as: garlic, scallions & ginger, all personal favorites!  I used dandelion greens in this recipe but a bok choy or even fresh basil would be delicious here as well.

Let's talk spice!! Siracha is a personal obsession and I am completely addicted.  From eggs to pasta & this broth I cannot get enough.  It's garlicky, spicy and adds a lot of flavor apart from the heat.  There are lots of different kinds and they contain a lot of nasty ingredients if you aren't careful.  I use a local one made in Brooklyn called, Jo'sjo's Siracha; you can order it on Etsy and I believe she carries it in some supermarkets. You can also make homemade siracha, but if you are totally not into going any of these routes and you want to still spice your broth naturally, I suggest just using red pepper flakes.

This recipe serves 1 but feel free to double/triple/quadruple.

Ingredients

1 Heaping Tbsp of your favorite miso, I used South River Miso.

1 1/2 Cups water, I filled up my favorite soup mug and then poured it into the pot so I knew it would fit.

2 Shitake mushrooms, chopped, mine were no spary, locally grown.

2 Organic scallions, whites only, chopped.

1 Organic clove garlic, minced or grated.

1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated.

1/4 Cup organic or wild greens, chopped, I used dandelion greens.

1/2 tsp fish sauce, there is no substitute for this so leave out if you can't find it.

1 tsp siracha, use more or less depending on your spice tolerance level.

Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste.


Directions

In a sauce pan add in all ingredients and stir to combine.  Heat over medium heat till it comes to a simmer.  Simmer for 5 minutes and then serve in your favorite mug or bowl.

Yes it's easy as that, and so incredibly delicious!





I have found that, with very few exceptions, families, which make a practice of serving miso soup daily, are almost never sick.... I believe that miso belongs to the highest class of medicines, those which help prevent disease and strengthen the body through continued usage...Some people speak of miso as a condiment, but miso brings out the flavor and nutritional value in all foods and helps the body to digest and assimilate whatever we eat.... 
-Dr. Shinichiro Akizuki, director of St. Francis Hospital, Nagasaki, The Book of Miso

No comments:

Post a Comment