Saturday, April 20, 2013

Spinach, Artichoke & Roasted Red Pepper Dip

This dip didn't end up on a chip or crostini, oh no I had serious plans for this dip! I recently saw a recipe posted on Facebook by a fellow blogger, steakhouse mushroom burgers with creamed spinach topping...oh yum! I had every intention of recreating these burgers, but...I had to make a spinach, artichoke & roasted red pepper dip for a baby shower and it hit me! Topping the burgers with that!! Oh my gosh I am so glad that happened, it was heaven on a sprouted wheat bun! You can always just use the dip in the traditional way, I will give you a great crostini idea at the end of the blog that you can serve with the dip but I highly recommend getting out of your comfort zone, going crazy and putting this on everything! Scrambled eggs, turkey sandwich, grilled cheese, I could probably go on for a while here, but I won't. You came for a recipe and a recipe you shall get! My dip is slightly healthier than the traditional version because of a few things. First I like to use lower fat ingredients like low-fat cream cheese and olive oil may, which is naturally lower in fat. I also bump up the fiber and bulk by  adding more veggies than cheese so that it's a very chunky dip. You actually get very little cheese in each bite, but it's enough to still be creamy and satisfying.

                                                                                                                                                 Grass-fed, locally raised beef served on sprouted wheat buns with a healthy amount of my dip.

Ingredients

6 Oz low-fat organic cream cheese, at room temp., I use Organic Valley
1/3 Cup Cabot Creamery sharp cheddar cheese, grated, all of their profits go right to the farmer's who produce their milk
1/4 Cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 Cup organic, low-fat sour cream
1/4 Cup olive oil mayonaise, I use Hellman's, I know this is a big business brand but I have yet to find a brand that is better that is local or all natural, sorry folks I do have flaws!
1 Package organic, chopped, frozen spinach, thawed and drained of excess water
2 Cans, 14 oz chopped artichoke hearts, drained and chopped even smaller
2 large roasted red peppers, chopped finely, I used Divinia
1 Clove organic garlic, minced or grated
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.

Put in a baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling.

Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, crostini* or on top of a grass-fed burger!!

*To make crostini: Cut a loaf of, local, artisan french bread into small slices, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with oregano, minced garlic, sea salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 5 to 7 minutes or until crispy and browned. You can also use sprouted bread or whole grain bread and it's just as delicious and even more healthful!





Spinach, artichoke & roasted red pepper dip on top of my burger! Creamy and full of veggies!



No comments:

Post a Comment