Saturday, May 4, 2013

Herb de Provence Grilled Salmon over White Bean, Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Salad


I am a huge sucker for a perfectly grilled, succulent piece of wild caught salmon. It is one of my most favorite fish and its incredibly healthy to boot! This particular dish, however, was not inspired by the beautiful salmon, instead I went gaga over a very large can of white gigande beans that was on sale at my local co-op. The beans are soaked in a very luxurious vinaigrette that is a tiny bit spicy and a tiny bit tangy. The huge, creamy white beans are so incredibly delicious and I seriously cannot get enough of them. We have put them in frittatas, pasta, hummus and totally as is, on an antipasto platter. This time though, I decided to use them in a very rustic salad that would accompany the oily salmon just perfectly. The salad is loaded with the flavors of the Mediterranean; fresh pungent oregano, sweet cherry tomatoes, smoky roasted red peppers and a sharp squeeze of lemon to tie everything all together. I also indulged a bit and added in a tiny bit of salty, pasture raised pork bacon that put the salad over the top, it was just lovely. My family sat outside dining al fresco, devouring our French inspired dinner and wishing we were on the porch of a lavender scented farmhouse instead of in our New York driveway, but it was still a wonderful meal just the same.















I am growing a tiny garden in my driveway as well. Right now the baby plants are sitting in my window sill because its still to cold for them outside at night. We have organic chives, oregano, rosemary, basil and thyme. They are all seedlings that were grown locally, brought home and transplanted lovingly by my daughter and myself. I love seeing them growing in my guest bedroom window and I always smell them for recipe inspiration when I give them water each day. In a small kiddie pool we have started to grow a few heirloom varieties of tomatoes, its our first time doing this and I am so excited. I just love picking my own homegrown tomatoes, still warm from the sun, I don't even wash them I just pop them into my mouth like candy! I hope to inspire my two year old daughter to eat them the same way, just like she does when we go berry picking.





















This recipe serves 2.

Ingredients

Fish

2 (4oz) Wild caught salmon fillets, skin on or they will fall apart on the grill.
Olive oil, for drizzling on the salmon.
2 tsp Herbs de Provence seasoning blend
1 Tbsp organic lemon zest
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste.

Salad

1 Cup white beans in vinaigrette, I use Divina gigandes in vinaigrette.
2 Tbsp of the vinaigrette from the beans.
1 Large, organic, roasted red pepper, diced, I use Divinia.
1/2 Cup organic cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
2 Cloves organic garlic, minced or grated.
1 Tbsp fresh organic, oregano, leaves only, chopped finely.
2 Tbsp fresh, organic chives, chopped finely.
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, from one lemon.

1/2 Small onion, diced.
1 Piece pasture raised pork bacon
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste.


Directions

Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high heat.

Slather your salmon fillets with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, lemon zest and herbs de Provence on both sides. Cook on the grill, starting skin side down, for 4 minutes each side. I like my salmon medium so if you like it well cook for a few additional minutes.

While the salmon cooks mix together all salad ingredients in a large bowl except the bacon, onion, salt and pepper.

In a small skillet over medium-high heat cook the bacon till crispy. Remove from the pan and cook the onion in the bacon grease for a few minutes till it is soft. Remove the onion from the pan, straining off the grease. Add the onion to the salad. Chop the bacon and add to the salad as well. Mix the salad to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, spoon the bean salad onto a serving dish and top with the grilled salmon. Drizzle all with a tiny bit of the bean vinaigrette and serve!




                                                 

Bon appétit!



No comments:

Post a Comment