Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mahi Mahi & Chorizo Tacos


These tacos were inspired by some pasture raised, local chorizo sausage that I bought on a shopping trip to the Saratoga Springs, Healthy Living Market. I am all about the spicy, fatty chorizo and I like to use it as a "seasoning" for any type of taco. Fish tacos are usually fried but my version grills the delicate and flaky mahi mahi and this is met with a burst of porky goodness in every few bites. You don't need much of the chorizo, it is very aggressively seasoned, which is why I love it. The chorizo is a deep red color and is intensely flavored with spices such as; chili peppers, Mexican oregano and cumin. We grilled the fish over charcoal giving it a nice smoky flavor that mirrors the smoky cumin accents of the sausage, it is a match made in culinary heaven!

I don't make my own tortillas because I have found a company that makes some of the best ones I have ever eaten! I lived in Puebla, Mexico when I was 20 years old for about a year and there was a small hut behind my apartment where they made 100's of tortillas daily and sold them to the local people. The smell of charred corn would waft into my windows and I would inevitably throw on some sandals and walk over to get a stack. They were wrapped in brown paper, they were steaming hot and I would eat them all. Smeared with butter and salt, topped with avocado and leftover chorizo or sopping up my over-easy egg yolk, oooooh how I miss those! But don't worry I have found a very, very good alternative right here in the United States. If you are not a lucky border state who is able to get your hands on tortillas just like what I was describing then you are still in luck because La Tortilla Factory makes some pretty darn good tortillas, I buy them right at the grocery store. You can also order them online if your grocery store does not have them.



This recipe makes about 6 tacos.

Ingredients

8 oz Piece mahi mahi fish, any firm white fish would work.
2 Links pasture raised chorizo sausage, I highly recommend finding this sausage but if you cannot then any spicy sausage will work, casing removed and crumbled.
1 Small onion, sliced into strips.
1 Small, organic red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced into strips.
Your favorite guacamole, you can make homemade (you will need about 1 cup, 1 Tbsp for each taco), I used Sabra all-natural guacamole.
1/2 Cup habanero cheddar cheese, shredded, I used Cabot.
Pasture raised sour cream, I used Cabot, 1 Tbsp for each taco.
Sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste.
Olive oil, for cooking.
1 tsp Mexican oregano, regular oregano will work but the Mexican does have a slightly different flavor.
2 limes, cut into wedges for garnish and squeezing over tacos when you are ready to eat.

Directions

Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high heat. Drizzle fish with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and oregano on both sides. Grill on both sides, 3 minutes a side. Set aside covered with foil.

While fish is grilling, cook sausage in a small skillet over high heat till browned and cooked through. Set aside covered.

While the sausage and fish are cooking in a small saute pan, drizzle with olive oil and cook pepper and onion till soft. Season with salt and pepper, cook about 5 minutes.

Heat tortillas by wrapping them in a clean, damp kitchen towel. Place in the microwave for 2 minutes and then transfer them to something that will keep them warm, I use a large casuela, which is a large, ceramic vessel with a top that keeps the heat in.  A dutch oven will work or wrap them in foil.

To serve: top each hot tortilla, first with guacamole, sour cream then top with a small piece of fish, sprinkle with chorizo, cheese, top with peppers and onions. Squeeze the lime over top of each taco, take a bite and let your taste buds transport you to a Mexican beach!

I like to serve mine with rice & beans for a complete meal.












No comments:

Post a Comment