Saturday, June 8, 2013

Strawberries in Vanilla Milk

Summer strawberries are here; the first of the season! They are my absolute favorite thing about summer, so deeply sweet and lightly floral. My favorite way to eat them is simply, soaking in some sweetened vanilla milk which mirrors the natural floral nature of the strawberries so beautifully. It is simple, elegant and so utterly delicious. On a hot summer night its wonderful to sit on your porch, feel the warm breeze and drink down the slightly pink, sweet milk that is left after you eat the tender, tangy berries. That is a perfect evening for me!

I always buy strawberries organic or locally grown with a no spray guarantee from the farmer. They are like sponges and they soak up any pesticides that are used on them. It is very important to know where your berries are coming from and how they are grown, they are part of the dirty dozen. I like to soak mine in a bowl of vinegar water for a few minutes as soon as I get them home. This removes dirt and bacteria from the berries and prolongs their freshness. Strawberries are so delicate and grow mold very quickly, this method of washing helps to prolong this from happening. I also like to spread them out on a cookie sheet or plate, that is covered in a towel. This allows the berries to breath and also keeps them fresher, longer. They don't last long in our house so I rarely have a mold issue, but I realize it does happen so I thought I would share some of my berry keeping tips with you.


This recipe serves 2 but is very easy to double or triple.

Ingredients

2 Cups organic strawberries, sliced
2/3 Cup organic, grass-fed whole milk, you can also use cream if you are so inclined.
2 tsp raw cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped

Directions

In a small bowl whisk together the milk, sugar and vanilla paste. Whisk to combine completely and dissolve the sugar.

Place strawberries, 1 cup each, in two serving dishes. Pour the vanilla milk over the strawberries, 1/3 cup into each bowl. Sprinkle with more sugar if desired and serve.

Enjoy!




Bees do have a smell, you know, and if they don't they should, for their feet are dusted with spices from a million flowers.
                                     ― Ray Bradbury

No comments:

Post a Comment