Friday, August 30, 2013

Peach & Heirloom Tomato Salad with Peach Vinaigrette

This is one of my most favorite salads, especially during August when tomatoes and peaches are at their finest. I used heirloom roma tomatoes for this salad but any heirloom variety would be wonderful. While perusing the farmers market I found some beautiful, zebra striped romas that were just dying for me to buy them and use them as is, no cooking required! The peaches are so ripe this time of year just touching them causing bruising and you have to eat them within a few days...I don't mind because mine never last that long. I love opening my refrigerator and smelling the sweet, floral aroma of them, it inspires me to make all kinds of peachy delights! This salad is a perfect combination of flavors, ripe tomatoes that are just the right amount of savory, mixed with sweet, juicy peaches, sharp and creamy Italian cheese from Rome and topped with pungent, fresh basil right from my backyard garden. Seriously a salad does not get better than this, ok well maybe when topped with a peach vinaigrette made with small batch, Hudson Valley peach brandy...oh yes I went there!

This salad serves 4-6.

Ingredients

4 Heirloom roma tomatoes, any tomato will work.

4 Organic peaches

8 oz Sharp cheese, mine was a sheep's milk from Rome but any hard cheese with sharpness will work. (suggestions: blue cheese, parmesan or feta)

1/3 Cup fresh basil, chopped finely.

Dressing

1/4 Cup white wine vinegar

1 Tbsp dijon mustard

1 Tbsp peach preserves

1/2 tsp local honey

1/2 Small organic shallot, finely minced.

1/4 Cup peach brandy (optional), I used Peach Jack from Harvest Spirits.

1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil

Sea salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste.

Directions

Cut up the tomatoes, peaches and cheese into similar size chunks. Place in a large serving dish and toss to combine. Top with the basil and set aside.

In a dressing shaker or bowl with a tight fitting lid place all dressing ingredients except salt & pepper. Shake vigorously to emulsify, it will look thick and creamy. Taste for salt and pepper and season to taste.

To serve: Place a serving of salad onto a place and top with dressing and enjoy! I do not dress the whole salad because it makes the peaches and tomatoes soggy if you don't eat them all in one sitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment